Welcome to CrackRoll.com! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

XHeli.com EXI-500CF Heli Kits Lipos Parts 2.4GHz Tools Mfgr.
Create a new account or Log in:     Remember Me    I forgot my password!

Go Back   Crackroll.com > R/C Blogs > CSpaced's blog

Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #31
gwright
Coaxial

Got my X50 in the air over the weekend also. Overall good, but I need some tweaking and adjusting. I have the head dampening is a bit too stiff for the rpm range I want to run, want to bolt on some longer 620 blades and different paddles since I want to lower the revs, and need to tweak the power system a bit with some smaller packs and a different pinion. Flew it half a dozen times thought and did some old-fart smooth 3d and a gazillion autos. It's very smooth with no noticable vibration whatsoever.
gwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #32
CSpaced
Spam Killer!

Send a message via MSN to CSpaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwright View Post
What does he mean by saying "extended flight times compared to electric"? Do you really get more than 10~12 minutes? <G>
You are living proof that you can get 10+ minute flight times on a 90 size electric!

Quote:
Got my X50 in the air over the weekend also. Overall good, but I need some tweaking and adjusting. I have the head dampening is a bit too stiff for the rpm range I want to run, want to bolt on some longer 620 blades and different paddles since I want to lower the revs, and need to tweak the power system a bit with some smaller packs and a different pinion. Flew it half a dozen times thought and did some old-fart smooth 3d and a gazillion autos. It's very smooth with no noticable vibration whatsoever.
That's great! Post up a photo if you've got one so we can check out your electric version.

I'll bet you'll be getting 15+ minute flight times
Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #33
gwright
Coaxial

not flying it very long as I'm working on setup,.. only 7~8 minutes using 50~70 % of the pack. Gotta get gearing right and get the correct size packs. These are way too large and heavy but the only things I had on hand I could use. As a side note I did spin up the E720 a little higher and I can "only" get 10~10.5 minutes now if I want to leave any reserve in the pack <G>
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	109.0 KB · Views: 483

Name:	photo5.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	92.2 KB · Views: 315

Name:	photo6.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	98.2 KB · Views: 264

Old 09-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #34
CSpaced
Spam Killer!

Quote:
As a side note I did spin up the E720 a little higher and I can "only" get 10~10.5 minutes now if I want to leave any reserve in the pack <G>
Only...
Old 09-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #35
CSpaced
Spam Killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberalpha View Post
As for upgrades, no need to worry about them - you don't need any with the X50 .

Thanks for asnwering here in area we get the kit with 4 diff engines tt53 /56 or os 50/55 + two mufflers & not to mention the aluminum & bearing upgrades for the kits I planning to take the plunge but JR Vibe 50NEX is also looking very tempting especialy with the flybarless sytem.
Very soon the flybarless head for the X50 should be available...
Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #36
CSpaced
Spam Killer!

I managed to get the X50 out to the field this evening, and finally got a few laps in! The motor fired right up, and I mean instantly, I barely touched the starter and it was running.

First impressions? This thing is light and is going to be fast. The servo setup is exrtemely quick, and the tail feels awesome.

Unfortunately I only got half a flight, the blades were slightly out of track and I wanted to adjust them so I cut the throttle. Once I got the heli back to the workbench I found that I had a couple of millimeters side to side play on the main blade grips. The bolts were still tight, and I didn't really want to take them apart at the field (at the risk of losing something). So I called it quits (it was getting dark anyway), and brought it home to figure out what happened. I also noticed that the engine started leaning out towards the middle of the tank, so need to tweak on that a bit too. More news on all that once I take the head apart.

In the mean time, here are some pics of the flight, and big thanks to my buddy Bob for trekking out there to take them!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_4981.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	124.8 KB · Views: 181

Name:	DSC_4993.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	87.4 KB · Views: 144

Name:	DSC_4996.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	75.3 KB · Views: 126

Name:	DSC_4998.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	75.6 KB · Views: 132

Name:	DSC_5008.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	58.0 KB · Views: 140

Name:	DSC_5011.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	74.1 KB · Views: 179

Name:	DSC_5013.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	80.9 KB · Views: 140

Old 09-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #37
gwright
Coaxial

I'll bet you didn't have the dampeners pressed all the way in when you built it hence you didn't put the correct amount of shims on the blade axle to adjust the end-play.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #38
CSpaced
Spam Killer!

Small update, after running around all weekend at Fly for Tots, I've been able to get back to my workbench and sort the head out on the X50. All is done and ready to go again, but now I have to wait out this rainy week. I'm shooting for Saturday morning, so I'll post up how everything goes!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #39
CSpaced
Spam Killer!

Saturday morning is washed out! I'm waiting for a break in the rain so I can try to get a few tanks of gas through it, I'm really eager to get it in the air!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #40
sargan
Coaxial

[QUOTE=CSpaced;27735]I finally made up all the ball links, and used a few extra parts to make up a push/pull link for the throttle. I've programmed the swash and levelled it all out, and all that is left is to program the governor/gyro, pitch and throttle curves. I ended up choosing a Hobbico Life Source (PO4) 2100mah 10C battery, which fit perfectly into the receiver tray. I use a couple of these batteries in a 100cc extra 300, and they work great.

.... QUOTE]

Where can I get a Swash Levelling tool to suit X50 .... ? the one you used looks ideal
sargan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #41
CSpaced
Spam Killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
I finally made up all the ball links, and used a few extra parts to make up a push/pull link for the throttle. I've programmed the swash and levelled it all out, and all that is left is to program the governor/gyro, pitch and throttle curves. I ended up choosing a Hobbico Life Source (PO4) 2100mah 10C battery, which fit perfectly into the receiver tray. I use a couple of these batteries in a 100cc extra 300, and they work great.

Where can I get a Swash Levelling tool to suit X50 .... ? the one you used looks ideal
You can get it from R/C Aerodyne - www.scaleflying.com
Old 10-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #42
gwright
Coaxial

Here are a couple short videos of the X50E prototype. I'm not a smack 3D flyer but you can still see the performance level of the machine.
I've fitted the Titan SE canopy which is a touch larger and bright yellow due to my old eyes.

X50-E-2.mp4 (4 min 44 sec)

X50-E-1.mp4 (5 min 0 sec)
Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #43
CSpaced
Spam Killer!

Great job Gary, it sure looks smooth!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #44
CSpaced
Spam Killer!

Well you watched the build, now read the review!

Thunder Titan X-50 Review
Old 10-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #45
CSpaced
Spam Killer!

A couple of photos from the field today, with a couple of Raptors that belonged to some fellow pilots. Left to right: Raptor Titan, Raptor V2, Titan X50.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6107 (Large).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	146.3 KB · Views: 184

Name:	DSC_6109 (Large).jpg
Views:	378
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	146.2 KB · Views: 378