Welcome to CrackRoll.com! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

XHeli.com EXI-500CF Heli Kits Lipos Parts 2.4GHz Tools Mfgr.
Create a new account or Log in:     Remember Me    I forgot my password!

Go Back   Crackroll.com > Heli Tech > Electric Helicopters

Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #16
sherman89
Coaxial

Allan,

Good suggestion on the 3 axis controller, I use CC as well and Kontroniks ESC's---I have burned up a few CC's a few years ago but I think they have the problems fixed now-----I have not had any problems with the Kontroniks other than they have to go back to Germany for updates. I have been on my own on the heli deal and have unfortunately learned via the school of hard knocks!!!!! After reading all the horror stories about 3 axis controllers I found the AR7200BX relatively easy to program the first time around----I have a few of them and stick with them. A heli club would be a huge asset!!!!
sherman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
flyalan
Fixed Pitch

My first unit was an early Beast x on of all things a TRex 250! I did that the first winter I was learning. That was my first collective pitch heli. Actually did pretty well with it and was able to practice hovering in the garage for a few weeks. Moved the Beast X into a Trex 500 that spring. The Beast X is by far the easiest to set up initially. I do prefer the feel of VBars and the Helicommand better though.

Cheers
Alan
flyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
JB Rekit
Coaxial

Too much work, not enough play...

Since I fly futaba, this is one I found that seems to do everything needed: Futaba CGY750 Flybarless 3 Axis Gyro w/Governor & Control Unit. Is that the one you would recommend?

For the speed controller, given the price difference and knowing I'm not likely to be pushing it past its limits prior to potentially destroying the thing anyway, I'd be happy to start off with either the CC Ice2 HV 120 or 160 and see how far it gets me given that its 1/2 the price of the kontroniks. I've used a lot of castles smaller products a while back and have been fairly pleased. I think I still have an 11 or 12 yr old one back when foamies were just getting popular that should still work!

The hacker motor suggestion seems fine to me as well as I have used several of their products too 8+ years ago and was plenty satisfied then.

I never got into the sims all that much with the planes - I do have real flight 3, but I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading to something more current. #1 piece of importance is a realistic feel and flight characteristics. If there are 2 that are fairly equal and 1 lets you use your own transmitter, that would be my preference if you guys have any recommendations on those as well. I know most sims seem to offer both fixed and rotary wing options, but it would be nice to still be able to do both.

As for talking to people at the flying field, I'm not a member of the close field and don't really know anyone (that I know of) at that one yet, as that fields layout wasn't accommodating to the giant scale crowd. The one I am a member at, rarely has helis since there are more convenient locations plenty suitable for that... I'd randomly stop by if I ever passed by it during the day, but since I don't, I'm not likely get to meet too many of that fields heli guys until the weather gets a little better.

If anyone on here is in The Woodlands/Spring area, I'd happily share a few beers with you if you wanted to come by and share some of your heli knowledge with me and help look over my setup.

Thanks!
JB Rekit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #19
HeliSmith
Smack3D Head

A couple years back I could have warned you to stay away from this brand because of the flex frame or stay away from that brand because of bad geometry. But these days any .90/700 machine you choose will be tight and right including the Align Trex 700. The reason I like the Align 700 for new pilots is all the information out there right now. If you go with the Align 700 make sure you get the upgraded tail version, slop free tail. 700e works with all Flybarless systems including V-Bar also.

The TSA machine is real nice I was looking at it and I have to admit it is nice but it is new so I have not even seen one fly.
HeliSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #20
sherman89
Coaxial

From what I read the Futaba CGY750 with the new software update is supposed to work well but I have no experience with it, I am sure others will chime in that have used the 750.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
CSpaced
Administrator

The 750 had a little bounce issue before the update, but with the update it is phenomenal. No other gyro I've flown comes even remotely close to the piro compensation that the 750 has. It's hard to describe to people, to me it's one of the most natural feeling gyros out there. A big bonus with the 750 is being able to program it right on the gyro, they make it very easy to tweak any settings right on the helicopter.
CSpaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
HeliSmith
Smack3D Head

I almost went for the CG750 I have a personal feeling that Futaba is the best there is, 30 years in the business and a serious amount of it making gyros. I ended up going for the Silverline. I do like my Spartan more than I liked my GY611 gyro though. Which one is the best is such a tough question. V-Bar has been doing flybarless the longest so I ended up there but the CG750 was on my mind.
HeliSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #23
flyalan
Fixed Pitch

Well I just test flew my Minititan with a CGY750 on board. Very impressed! Of course my N5C flies great with one so this was no surprise. I did want to try it on something smaller and I did not like the GT5 unit all that well.
The MiniT was rock solid even with a 12kt wind. I did have a little tail wag need to work out.
I wouldn't hesitate using a CGY750.

Cheers
Alan
Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #24
JB Rekit
Coaxial

I know its a little backwards selecting everything without being positive which heli you want to start with, but here is where I am at so far:
  • 700 size Heli - ?
  • Speed Control - CC Ice2 HV 120 or 160?
  • Motor - Hacker Turnado A50-12L
  • Gyro - CG750
  • Servos - ?
Plus whatever else I'm missing depending on what the kit comes with.

And the similator is FS One. I had forgotten that I got that as a Christmas present for my Dad whatever year it came out. He does have a Real Flight as well that is a couple years older than the FS One, but I just borrowed the FS One from him to start messing with whenever time is available.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #25
CSpaced
Administrator

Looks good to me! I run the HV160 in my Goblin with the KDE Direct 700XF-495 motor. Great powerhouse combo!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #26
JB Rekit
Coaxial

Well, I'm really torn between the Synergy E7 and Infusion... And I doubt it would really make a lick of difference for me for a good while, but I'd still like to make the best choice for whatever reason. Parts availability, if one would be slightly better suited to the rest of the equipment it looks like I'll wind up getting etc.

With that in mind, it looks like I need to figure out which FBL system I want to go with and which blades I should get.

Synergy E7 - Infusion?
Speed Control - CC Ice2 HV 160
Motor - Hacker Turnado A50-12L
Gyro - CG750
FBL System - ?
Servos - ?
Blades - ?

Thanks again everyone who has helped out! Its starting to look like I might possibly have a list put together to order before this thread turns a month old!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #27
sherman89
Coaxial

JB,
I run the Hacker the Turnado L50-12 (the TSA has both the 12 & 13T pinion in the kit to match the main gear) and the CC Ice 120 ESC (I use the governor mode) in my TSA Infusion-E and my gyro is the AR7200BX----the the Futaba CG750 with the new updated software is an excellent gyro I have been told. I run the Rail 696 main and the rail 105 tail---I run the JR 8717 servos on the cyclic and JR 8911 on the tail. I have had past experience with the V-blade which is excellent and the Align servos (rebranded Savox servos) have been excellent as well. Parts for the TSA are available from either A Main on the west cost or RC Experience in Michigan. Both companies have a good parts supply.

Last edited by sherman89; 01-17-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #28
CSpaced
Administrator

Synergy! Owned and operated by Matt and Amy Botos out of Georgia, two of the nicest people you will ever meet. If that isn't enough, the E7 is a killer machine!

Matt Botos E7 Demo (4 min 39 sec)
Old 01-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #29
flyalan
Fixed Pitch

Default Electric Suggestions

+1 Chris!

Again I am biased!

The E7 is above all my favorite machine. I like new toys but I always fall back on the E7. It's just a solid flyer!

Again you can be sure that Synergy tech support is second to none.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 06-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #30
Andy456
Coaxial

I read this post and like this because good suggestions are given here in this post for the users of the heli. Its very useful post for the professional of the rc heli's.

Regards.
Andy.
Andy456 is offline   Reply With Quote